Donating stock or securities offers a number of benefits:
- A federal income charitable contribution tax deduction based on the stock’s fair market value on the date of the gift (up to 30% of your adjusted gross income) if the stock was owned for more than one year;
- Carryover of the deduction for up to five additional years if the fair market value of the gift is more than 30% of your adjusted gross income; and
- Avoidance of capital gains tax that is due when you sell appreciated stock.
Note: Stock owned for one year or less is considered a short-term asset and usually won’t produce attractive tax benefits. Also, if stock has decreased in value, selling it and making a cash gift to the SPLC is probably more beneficial. You can take a capital loss on federal taxes and still enjoy a charitable deduction up to 50% of your adjusted gross income.
How to Donate Stock
- Give your broker the following information to transfer a gift of stock to Emmaus Ministries:
- Emmaus Ministries’ brokerage account is with Morgan Stanley
- Emmaus Ministries’ account number is 419-047011-201 and the DTC number is 0015
- Either you or your broker must notify our office at 773-334-6063 or firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the stock and the number of shares being transferred. This ensures the gift is properly credited and acknowledged.
- For further questions about making donations of appreciated stock, please don’t hesitate to contact our Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor at:
Jesse E. Burnett, CFP®
Associate Vice President
Morgan Stanley Wealth Management
1000 Elm Street, 14th Floor
Manchester, NH 03101
- Physically held certificates can also be donated. Contact Jesse Burnett for more information and to facilitate that sort of gift.